The function of the Welfare Department is to provide assistance to those persons who are residents of Gardiner and South Gardiner and individuals and families who intend to establish residency in Gardiner.
GA is available by Appointment
If you have an emergency on the weekend, please contact 582-1000
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU WHEN YOU APPLY FOR GENERAL ASSISTANCE
Your General Assistance budget will be based on the 30 day period following your application. The city will also look back to 30 days before you applied to see what money you received and how you spent it. The City will need to see:
- Your most recent bills and/or other proof of expenses including: rent/mortgage, heating fuel, electricity, food, medical expenses;
- Cancelled checks, receipts, or other documents that show how you have spent your money and income in the past 30 days;
- Your driver’s license or other photo identification;
- Your social security number and the social security number of all members of your household;
- Work-related expenses;
- Name and address of your landlord;
- A doctor’s statement if you are ill, disabled or not able to work;
- Financial resources: Car/recreational vehicles, real estate holdings.
- Proof of all household income including:
Wages, cash on hand, income tax refunds, unemployment benefits, child support benefits, TANF benefits, social security benefits, SSI/SSDI/Disability benefits, checking/savings, veteran’s pensions, rental income, loans, worker’s compensation, savings bonds, trust funds/annuity/life insurance policies, retirement accounts, school loans, assistance from relatives, in-kind income, self employment income.