Skip Navigation
Detail Detail
Detail Detail Detail


This table is used for column layout.
Gardiner ME on Facebook
Gardiner ME on Twitter
Police Department FAQs
6 Church Street
Gardiner, Maine 04345
Emergency - Dial 911

Gardiner Police Department

What are the operating hours of the Police Department?

The Gardiner Police Department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to serve the public.

How do I report an incident?

Emergencies can be reported by calling 911. An emergency can be defined as those situations where life or property is in danger. All other crimes can be reported by calling 582-3211. All other police business can be done by calling 582-5150.

How do I obtain a protection order?

Protection from abuse and protection from harassment orders can be obtained at the Southern Kennebec County District Court, 145 State Street in Augusta, Maine between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Criminal conduct on the part of the person that you have filed a protection order against may be reported to the police department having jurisdiction where the offense has occurred. You should always keep your copy of the protection order with you in the event of a violation by the defendant.

How do I collect on a check that has been returned to me by the bank?

It is a crime for a person to give someone a check made out for a sum of money when that person knows that there is no money in the bank to cover the said document. In order for us to charge the person responsible, you must stop by the departmen and obtain a Bad Check Packet. The first part of the process is for you to send a certified letter to the person who wrote the check advising them of the problem with the document. They must be given a specific period of time to correct their error by repaying you in cash, paying with a certified check, or other agreement. The least recommended way is to have them give you another check from the same account. If no payment has been received after the person receives the certified letter, or they refuse to accept it, you then complete the packet and return it to the Police Department. We will then issue a summons to the person for Negotiating a Worthless Instrument and give them a brief period of time to make payment directly to  us for the money owed. In the event they fail to make the payment, they are next in court to answer on the criminal charge. If the person is found guilty, the court will order the defendant to re-pay you the money owed. The Police Department can not collect fees that are imposed by a business for returned checks.

How do I get a copy of an accident or police report?

Reports may be obtained by leaving a written request (with the exception of accident reports) at the Gardiner Police Department.  This request must include the reason you are seeking this information and may take up to five business days, pending the authorized release of such information.    Accident reports may be obtained pending their completion if you are one of the persons involved in the accident. Police reports may also be obtained under the same conditions. The only exception to this is that if you are a suspect in the case or have been charged with a crime from the incident, we can not release the information to you due to the pending charges. You must then file for a Motion for Discovery through the District Attorney's Office to obtain the information. The only other way to obtain the information if you have been charged or are a suspect is if you are found guilty of the offense.


We do unlock vehicles free of charge. However we are not responsible for any damage that may occur. Prior to an Officer attempting to unlock your vehicle, you will be asked to sign a waiver slip releasing the Gardiner Police Department from any liability. In the event we are unable to gain access to the vehicle we can contact a locksmith to further assist you. If you have requested an Officer for this service, you may have to wait for the Officer's arrival due to pending or more urgent police calls.

Why do I sometimes have to wait to see an Officer after I have called the Police Department?

Most often, when you call and request an Officer to respond, the Officer is dispatched immediately. However, there are times when due the nature of pending complaints, and the nature of your complaint, that you may experience a delay in the Officer's arrival. An example of this situation would be when Officers are busy on an incident where someone's well-being is at risk (fights, domestic situations, suicidal threats, small child locked in a vehicle), and those of little or no threat to human life (barking dogs, parking problems, vehicle lockouts with no risk to life). This is not to say that we do not and will not attend to these types of complaints, but that they are handled in order of urgency. You can ask the dispatcher for an approximate time of the Officer's arrival.

Does the Police Department do fingerprinting for the public?

We do fingerprinting for various reasons for residents of Gardiner. Some of these instances include for work requirements, children's prints, and concealed firearms permits.

How do I file a complaint against a Police Officer?

Complaint forms may be picked up at the Dispatch Center in person. You will be asked to make a written statement of the incident and return the document. Your complaint will then be investigated and you will be contacted regarding the incident. Your complaint will usually be completed within 30 days after being received.

Detail Detail
Gardiner City Hall, 6 Church Street, Gardiner, ME 04345 (207) 582-4200
Click Here for Town Office Hours
Website Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website