For more information on programs to help with home repairs and energy efficiency, please click on the links below:
- Efficiency Maine
- Rural Development - Formerly Farmers Home
- Kennebec Valley Community Action Agency
- Maine State Housing Authority
A. Establishment and Organization
1. A Housing Committee shall be established consisting of 11 members who shall be residents of Gardiner. Members of the Committee shall demonstrate an interest in housing issues and housing development in the City and shall be appointed with due regard to the proper representation of various interests and groups including the following, to the extent that such individuals are available in the community:
b. Rental-unit property owners,
c. Real estate professionals,
d. Single-family homeowners,
e. Elderly housing administrators,
f. Housing program administrators,
g. Homeless shelter advocates,
i. Business owners
j. Building construction contractors, and
k. Gardiner City Councilors (up to two)
Additionally, the City Manager or his/her designee, the Director of Economic and Community Development or his/her designee, and the Code Enforcement Officer shall serve as “Ex-Officio” members.
2. Members shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the City Council, for a term of 3 years, except that the initial appointments shall be staggered so that subsequent appointments shall not recur at the same time.
3. The members shall annually choose a chairperson who shall preside at all meetings.
4. All meetings of the committee shall be open to the public and the Committee shall keep a record of its proceedings and actions.
5. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the members.
6. A legal vote shall consist of a majority of the members.
7. The Mayor shall act within 60 days to fill a vacancy, including expired terms.
8. A municipal employee may not be a voting member of the Committee.
9. A member may be removed by the Mayor for the following reasons:
a. Unable to continue being an active member due to physical or mental incapacity.
b. The violation of state or federal criminal statutes.
10. A vacancy shall be created when any one of the following occurs:
a. Member moves from his/her residence in the City
b. Member resigns.
c. Member is removed for cause by the City Council.
d. Death of a member.
B. Powers and Duties
The Committee shall be authorized to:
1. Advise Economic and Community Development staff and/or consultant(s) on the preparation of a housing assessment plan and other projects intended to increase the availability in Gardiner of safe, accessible, and affordable housing units for a diverse population of individuals.
2. Recommend methods and procedures to the City Council necessary to preserve, restore, maintain and operate properties under the ownership or control of the City in the furtherance of meeting goals of providing expanded housing opportunities in the City.
3. Recommend ordinances, policies or actions to the City Council and otherwise provide information for the purposes of housing development in the City.
4. Act in an advisory role to other officials and departments of local government regarding the preservation and expansion of Gardiner’s housing stock.
5. Act as a liaison on behalf of the local government to individuals and organizations concerned with housing rehabilitation, housing development, and community development.
6. Cooperate with federal, state and local governments in the pursuance of the objectives of housing rehabilitation, housing development, and community development.
7. Participate in the conduct of land use and other planning processes undertaken by the City, the State, or the Federal government and the agencies of these entities.
|Name||Title (Term Expiration)||Address|
63 Central Street, Gardiner
14 McLaughlin Terrace, Randolph
City Councilor (01/01/2019)
17C Lincoln Street, Gardiner
100 Central Street, Gardiner
771 Brunswick Avenue, Gardiner
262 Brunswick Avenue, Gardiner
Member (Economic Development)